Patrick H. Hunt
Patrick H. Hunt is a partner of our firm with a broad-based defense litigation practice. His work involves premises liability; toxic torts; complex litigation; worker’s compensation; general personal injury defense; commercial disputes; environmental litigation; and employment discrimination in state and federal courts.
Prior to joining Bienvenu Bonnecaze, Patrick served as a law clerk for The Honorable Donald E. Walter of the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana. As a result of his time with Judge Walter, Patrick is well-versed in the federal procedure and provides valuable experience to the firm’s clients with matters pending in federal court.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 Company in Federal Court premises liability litigation involving a logging truck driver seeking extensive damages as a result of an alleged accident at the client’s paper mill. This litigation was dismissed on summary judgment. Lawrence v. RockTenn CP, LLC, No. 16-0821, 2017 WL 2261741 (W.D. La. May 22, 2017).
- Successfully defended the employee of a client in a lawsuit alleging intentional interference with contractual relations. This claim was dismissed by the trial court on an exception of no cause of action and affirmed on appeal. Gulf Engineering Company, LLC v. Kuhn, 16-425 (La. App. 5 Cir. 12/21/16), 209 So. 3d 1029.
- Successfully removed multiple wrongful death, survival, and other actions arising out of February 8, 2017, the explosion at a DeRidder, Louisiana, paper mill under varying theories of improper joinder and obtained dismissals without prejudice of claims against all non-diverse executive officer defendants.
- Successfully litigated multiple worker’s compensation disputes to judgment in favor of his clients, including multiple cases where the Court determined the claimant committed fraud in violation of La. R.S. 23:1208.
- Member of litigation teams representing industrial clients in litigation involving chemical exposures, property disputes, commercial disputes, and other personal injuries.
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., D.C.L. (2012)
- Magna cum laude
- Louisiana Law Review and the Journal of Civil Law Studies
- North Carolina State University (2009)
- B.A. Psychology; B.A. Spanish Language and Literature
- Law Clerk, Honorable Donald E. Walter, United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel (LADC), Young Lawyers Committee Member
- Comment, Tortious Tweets: A Practical Guide to Applying Traditional Defamation Law to Twibel Claims, 73 La. L. Rev. 559 (2013)